Entitled as one of the mega clothing retailers in South Africa, Truworths is a leading fashion company where you have to keep your eyes on. It has over 40 stores in 8 countries, both in South Africa and across the continent. As explained in its philosophy about what drives the company to keep striving forward, Truworths is a fashion apparel and accessories retailer that not only focuses on building a sustainable company, but also to inspires and gives back to the society where it is rooted from. Thus, the Truworths Learnership programme is designed to realize this important mission of theirs.
Truworths believes that each individual is capable of doing something amazing every day, yet it is unfortunate that there are still many people who have limited access to help them shape their creativity and passion and unleash their true potentials. This is especially true for South African youths who are constantly being faced with the gloom of unemployment after graduation. As if finding a job is not hard enough already, finding the “right” job that will eventually fit their talents and, hopefully, foster them to grow is tough as well. Understanding this dilemma, Truworths is committed to investing in each of its employees’ potential to build the foundation for a successful future of the nations’ economy. Through mutual sharing of knowledge and experience, each team member is educated with numerous training, coachings, mentorings, and career development programmes.
Being one of the fortunate learners who can participate in the helpful Truworths Learnership should give you a huge motivation to be the best in your field. And in this case, Truworths expects you to develop your skills, knowledge, and experience to not only help yourself but to contribute to your society’s prosperity. This can be achieved by sharing what you’ve gained to the public through delivering your understanding of the fashion industry, inspiring others to dress well in quality clothing, and tasteful fashion.
If you find the company’s values are in line with yours, you should consider being a part of Truworths. As quoted from its official website, “at Truworths, you will find a dynamic business environment where their staffs are constantly challenged to reinvent the way they do business to keep them at the forefront of the South African fashion industry.”
Yet, you might be wondering whether your passion for fashion itself suffices to assist you to land the job. Fret not, Truworths recognises that not everyone has equal chances of obtaining knowledge, especially in their desired field. Hence, Truworths comes up with a learnership programme crafted especially for individuals who share a great deal of enthusiasm for passion and wish to work in the creative industry.
Below, you will find a complete guide about Truworths Learnership Programme, starting from how it works, how to qualify and apply for it, and the closing dates. Make sure to read through the end of the article so you won’t miss out on any single important detail regarding the training.
Truworths Learnership Programme Overview
If you are interested in a career in fashion retail, this learnership might be perfect for you. Truworths Learnership Programme is a notable training programme where you can learn at first hand from the experts in the field of fashion and clothing retail. Being a successful candidate, you will be exposed to one of the rapidly growing sectors of the economy in South Africa. After completing the learnership, you can put in the application of the valuable knowledge and working experience you obtain throughout the course to advance your career.
To qualify for these perks, you have to fulfill these criteria:
- You have finished your Grade 12 or Matric
- You are a permanent resident or legal citizen of South Africa
- You are 18 years old or older at the time of the opening
- You are covered by the Employment Equity
- People with disability are encouraged to apply
How to Apply
The first step to applying for a Truworths Learnership Programme begins with visiting this link. It will direct you to a new page where you will be required to fill the application form. It reads the “Truworths Learnership Entrance Assessment Form.” Download and complete it.
On part two, there are six sections that you have to complete, including:
- Personal Identity: This includes your full name, South African I.D. number, residential address, postal address, email address, telephone numbers, next of kin, list of two or three closest Truworths stores, language proficiency, race, and disability status.
- Education: Mention the name of your high school, the year of enrolling and graduating, and the highest grade passed. Besides, you must list the subjects of your Grade 12 examination and post-matric studies (if applicable).
- Work Experience and Learnership Experience
- Contactable References (this field is mandatory for external candidates)
- Factors Affecting the Role
- Criminal Record
Then, you will have to answer some questions on the third part of the assessment form.
1. “In no more than fifty words, explain your reasons for wanting to enter this Learnership Programme.”
Set yourself different from the other applicants right off the bat with your extensive understanding of Truworths and its learnership programme. The selection committee will deem you as someone who pays close attention to what goes on at the company. Next, explain briefly your need to get the position at the training, be it to expand your current knowledge about the fashion industry or to assist you in securing a permanent position at Truworths which makes sense for you both now and in the near future.
2. “Give two reasons why you want to work for Truworths.”
Robert Half on his “How to Answer, ‘Why Do You Want to Work Here?’” writing explains best about how you should tackle this kind of question. You can utilize two of these “lead-in” options as suggested by him, or rewrite them on your own words. Ensure that you sound genuine with your reasonings.
- “This opportunity is a great chance for me to contribute to a fast-moving industry, and I feel I can do so with my …”
- “I am excited about this opportunity, as it would allow me to …”
- “I believe I have the type of knowledge to succeed in this position and at Truworths because …”
- “I feel my skills are particularly well-suited for this role because …”
Out of all the things that you can write, always leave out these worst responses:
- “I heard that Truworths offers good pay and benefits.”
- “I just need a job and this one looked interesting.”
- “I see this as a step to bigger and better things.”
Not only do these responses sound ingenuine, but they completely do not demonstrate your motivation to work for the business. If you face difficulties on explaining your causes, flipping the question like this: “Why would Truworths want to hire me?” can be a helpful solution.
3. “List three of your strengths.”
You can observe yourself and quickly find the answer, but if this step seems impracticable to you, you can ask others around you about what your good sides are. Some of the best example answers include:
- Communication skills
- Ability to learn from mistakes
- Interpersonal skills and respectfulness
- Creative thinking
- Discipline and determination
4. “List three things you would like to learn while on this Programme.”
Through this question, Truworths wish to learn about your expectation of this learnership programme and what you think it will involve. Set out realistic goals that you personally and professionally want to achieve.
Lastly, do not forget to carefully fill the “authority and indemnity” section covered in the part four before you can turn in the application form to email@example.com.
Truworths Learnership Closing Dates
Although the company doesn’t precisely mention when the application is closed, it is safe to prepare the necessary documentation before October 2020. Visit the official website on the link provided below from time to time to ensure that you do not miss the opening.
Note that late entry will not be considered, and neither incomplete application form. Alongside the application form, you also have to submit several other relevant documents, such as a certified copy of Grade 12 results and a certified copy of the South African Identification Document.
If you have inquiries regarding the Truworths Learnership Programme, contact the number and email address below, or mail your questions to the listed address.
Truworths Head Office
1 Mostert Street, CBD
Tel: +27 21 460 2300
Further information about the training programme is accessible through Truworths’ official website at www.truworths.co.za.